Lately, People are now more conscious about the environmental issues, the demand for green products and services continues to grow. Many companies are initiating green business initiatives and encouraging people to put efforts in saving the Planet.
As more consumers are choosing to engage in Eco-conscious lifestyles at home, it’s unsurprising that their tastes in hotels and travel destinations are noticeably greener, too. They are constantly looking for Eco-friendly travel options. So Tourism Industry is also aggressively pursue green ranking and best Eco-friendly customer experience.
These days, it’s crucial for hospitality industry players to adopt more greener practices so that their business can stay competitive, attract more travelers, save money, and do its part to protect the planet.
What does Sustainable Hotel mean to you?
Hotel sustainability not only means going green and saving the Planet. It's a focus of over all good practices. Some points to be taken care:-
Environment:- Hotels Should use their resources efficiently and work on proper waste management.
Locality:- They should provide employment to nearby localities to reduce unemployment.
Value Local Heritage:- They should not exploit the heritage and local values.
Hotels should promote common understanding of local life. People will feel the benefits of sustainable economic growth and hence will play their part in making the world better.
Features of Green Hotel
“Going Green” or “Being Maintainable” goes hand in hand. Customers want to be “Green” to be a part of Eco-friendly environment. Given below are some green living attributes that you might find in an Green hotel.
- Use LED light bulbs for all the lighting fixtures in hotel because they last longer, are durable and energy efficient.
- Installed energy efficient windows that improve insulation.
- energy efficient HVAC system.
- Energy Star rated televisions and air conditioners in every room.
- Energy efficient appliances in hotel kitchens and laundry rooms.
- Renewable energy sources such as solar panels on the roof or a wind turbine on property.
Limit Water Waste
- Installing low-flow shower heads and toilets, as well as sink aerators in hotel rooms can greatly reduce water waste on a daily basis
- Reduce water use, consider using water harvesting
- water recycling using the grey water that comes from kitchens, bathrooms and laundry rooms
- Opting to serve local ingredients can also bring travelers closer to your local community
- Reusable dishes and utensils to reduce waste.
- Take steps for food wastage, donate leftover food to a local nonprofit organization and/or compost. Also compost yard waste and biodegradable products.
- Provide reusable items such as cloth napkins, glass cups, silver wear, ceramic dishes, etc. with all food and beverage services.
- Create a sustainable/green purchasing policy for cleaners, sanitizers, paints etc throughout the hotel.
- Furniture made of sustainable source material, like 100 percent natural latex.
- Use of natural fiber sheets, linens, towels, and mattresses to reduce sensitivity issues.
- Use of non-VOC or low-VOC interior and exterior paints.
- Transportation service that uses hybrid, electric or solar powered cars, or provides bicycles for guests to use, rather use bicycles.
- Bulk soap, shampoos, and lotions given to guests instead of individually packaged toiletries to cut down on waste.
- Recycle glass bottles and reduce or stop consumption of plastic bottles.
- If your hotel is near the forest - promote reforestation.
- If your hotel is at the seaside, purifies seawater and makes it to drinking water.
- Minimize the amount of paper used for each guest and in the office, switch to digital system to manage Visitors. Try efficient solution with Vizitor
Hospitality industry can contribute to make Eco friendly alternatives to attract the customers. People slowly will take over this nice initiative and will look for ways, how they can contribute. Most important - be transparent. Explain that prices at your hotel are higher, because you are using Eco-friendly cleaning products or because vegetables are grown in the hotel's garden.
If you thought that a little change and effort could be so productive for your hotel and the environment. Please visit us https://www.vizitorapp.com/green-business-initiative